Thursday, June 2, 2011

Lollipop Watermelon

Do you recall when "lollipop flowers" were the hot new trend? Today I bring it back, not as a flower, but as a watermelon!


In July I am hosting a "food themed" card swap. The participants already have their assignments and possibly hard at work. However, if they don't have a variety of "food" stamps to use, this is a great alternative. Use the papers you already have and make it look like food. I will post more ideas all month long, so come back for more inspiration and in July I will post the cards from the swap!


I am also submitting this card into two challenges this week. The first is for Heart 2 Heart's sketch challenge. I really enjoy the simplicity of the sketch allowing the artists to embellish as they desire.


This is also for Ribbon Carousel Challenge this week. Anything goes as long as it contains some sort of fiber that comes on a spool! No problem!








My watermelon has 7 layers. I started with some Tulip B&T papers from a mix of paper packs. These make up the first four top layers. My next layer is from an old children's dictionary. I punched a section out and inked the edges lightly in green. {if you look closely you'll see that I used the section with the watermelon definition on it!} The final two layers are sweet leaf cardstock and clover meadow green B&T papers. By having that little bit of white paper it really makes it look like the rind of the melon. Finally, I added some little black seeds which were free hand cut from black cardstock.



Here's the sketch~


So many favorite products and techniques on this card. First, is the watermelon. Whether it's lollipop flowers or fruit, it's just a simple and fun edition to any project. I also love faux stitching. It really ties the base pieces all together. By removing the guard on the corner rounder punch you can create perfect scallops as I did here on the Tulip cardstock. I {heart} the new CTMH buttons and pearl opaques. My papers are all CTMH. Did you notice the lovely creme brulee paper leftover from the You & Me kit? My fibers include a stitched sweet leaf grossgrain ribbon from CTMH and Peapod green twine from the Twinery.


8 comments:

Karen Day said...

Amy, your card is SO pretty! I really love your colour combo, and that little watermelon is adorable - glad to have you join us at H2H this week :o)

Melanie said...

Love that watermelon. What a great embelishment!

Unknown said...

OOOOHHHH I love that watermelon. So Cute! I am going to have to try and steal that idea. Great Job!

Haley D. said...

Your card is so fun! I love your lollipop watermelon! The "rind" layer is especially clever. Thanks for trying this week's H2H sketch!

Unknown said...

Cute card! Great accents with the cool watermelon, pearls, buttons, and punched lines.

Melissa Laverty said...

Absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE this...it's just adorable!

Melinda Everitt said...

I love your watermelon! Great use of the sketch! Thanks for joining us at H2H!

Debbie Carriere said...

What a great idea, Amy!!! Looks fantastic. Thanks for playing at H2H & Ribbon Carousel :)