Monday, August 23, 2010

Home Wreath

We have lived in our home now for over 5 years and I am still creating little items of decor to display here and there. I feel that home made crafts really make a house a home!

This week on H2H we were challenged to create something with either faux or real stitching. Why not both, or maybe 3 types of stitching!

To make the pennants I cut pieces of B&T paper that measured 3 x 8 inches. I folded them in half and then cut on an angle to create the triangle, leaving the folded edge at the top. I then used a stamp to create the look of stitching and pierced holes through the paper at the dotted sections. This is the first type of faux stitching I did.



Then I got out my little handy dandy sewing machine to do some real stitching.

I strung some twine through the middle of each pennant and glued the triangles together. I then glued some colonial white organdy ribbon to the tops of the pennants in a pleated fashion and then used a creme brulee grosgrain ribbon on the tops of that. Now comes the sewing and lots of patience. This was a lot of layers for my little machine to go through, but after awhile I got it all stitched together. By using real stitching on this section it created a stronger bond for the banner. It was finished with some threaded buttons on each corner.

The final stitching technique is also a faux stitch. This one is super easy and fun. It also gives that perfect finishing touch to my letters. After tracing chipboard letters onto card stock I cut them out, sponged the edges and then used the fine tip of the marker making small dash marks around the edges. This gives a colorful stitched look.

The letters were finished off with some brads and ribbons. I used a thin hemp to tie the letters to the wreath to make them more secure.



2 comments:

Melissa Laverty said...

Amy this is awesome! Your artwork is fantastic!

Katy said...

This is so CUTE, Amy!!! I just LOVE wreaths and can't wait to try this version!