Friday, January 10, 2014

I didn't forget your Birthday! {for my sweet niece, Mad Dog!}

I'm trying a new technique today using Washi tape and my Cricut machine. This is for the "new" challenge on Heart 2 Heart Challenges Blog. I have incorporated this easy idea on the Freshly Made Sketch this week.
 
I used some Chantilly papers as my base and added in more color with greens, blues and pink. Instead of a square element as in the sketch I chose to do a scalloped circle from the Perfect Fit Frames. What I really want to point out is the number "9". It may look like paper in the photograph, but it is actually Washi tape that has been adhered to a chipboard number.
 
 
This is an easy and fun technique to try! Using a spare piece of white daisy cardstock, I taped strips of this darling pink polka dot Washi tape being sure to line up the spots. Depending on the shape and size you want to cut out will determine how long and how wide your strips of Washi tape will be.
 

I was simply cutting a number nine on the Art Philosophy cartridge to the determined sizing according to the chipboard package label. I loaded my cutting mat and made sure that my cutting blade was on the Washi tape surface. I set my key, size of 1 1/2" and pressed cut. It cut out the "9" perfectly. I simply peeled it from the cutting mat and adhered it to the chipboard with some liquid glue.

 You can use this technique for alphabet letters to create a title, a bracket shape for a mini album, or mix and match different colors and patterns of Washi tape before cutting it out. It's a great "new" technique and the possibilities are endless!



8 comments:

Karren said...

Great card! Such lovely, soft colors and I adore your polka dot "9"! Thanks so much for joining us at Freshly Made Sketches.

karen h said...

Cool card - love the mix of patterns and the washi number!

Brandi said...

Such a sweet card, I love how you made the 9 out of Washi Tape, such a great idea. Thanks for playing along at Heart 2 Heart challenges!

Brandi said...

I love your card, it is super sweet. I really love how you did the 9 out of Washi Tape, super creative idea and good to know the Cricut will cut it out! Thanks for playing along at Heart 2 Heart challenges!

Unknown said...

Beautiful card! I just used washi tape in the Cricut for the first time too- so easy! Thanks for playing at H2H :)

Rita W said...

How fun! I love the washi tape on the chipboard. Thanks for joining us at Freshly Made Sketches.

Shirley Ross, rockin' heARTist said...

Cute card and love the washi tape tutorial! Thanks for joining us at H2H

S`andra V. said...

What a great idea. Love this card and your new technique. Thanks for sharing with us at H2H weekly challenges.
Sandra V. at H2H Scrapbook challenges