Sunday, August 1, 2010

August Recipes & Friday Five

I am so happy! I made the Friday Five on Heart 2 Heart Challenges for my Splendor Recipe Box. I am teaching a workshop for it this month so I decided to post some recent recipes I have tried out this summer. If you recall in my original post I mentioned Frog Eye Salad. I was just introduced to this yummy salad this summer on a trip to Utah. I guess it's a big thing there and you can actually pick up a container of it right in the deli section. I found one version of the recipe online at allrecipes.com. Scroll down for a pic.


I am familiar with the pistachio pudding dessert, but this frog eye stuff was all new to me. I was thrilled when I found the specialty pasta at my local grocery store. It's called Acini di pepe and it is a teeny tiny round pasta. After boiling, it swells to double it's size and gives the dessert the texture of tapioca pudding. It's a very cool, light, fruity tasting salad that is just perfect on a hot summer day. It has pineapples, mandarin oranges, whipped topping, mini marshmallows and shredded coconut. Now, I just happened to find the 'all recipes' version, but if you make this salad and have a different variation or tips, please leave a comment I would love to know your secrets!




No comments: