Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Something Spooky, Something Sweet!

It's Frightful Friday on Thursday! I was pondering about what Halloween project I wanted to make this week. It was already in my mind that I wanted to do another coloring book and then I saw Jeanette's blog this week! She had an unusual color challenge and the most amazing Halloween projects. You must go to her blog to see her fabulous creations.


Here was my take on her color challenge. A playful coloring book with the cutest halloween characters! Not so spooky after all! {colors are: black, sunflower, clover meadow & twilight}












And now for something sweet~ On a recent shopping trip to Williams-Sonoma, my son and I discoverd these fun pocket pie molds. They had a pumpkin one and an apple. I actually got both, but have only tried the apple one so far. They also offered an apple pie filling, which after a sampling in the store I decided I had to have that too.


I'm a sucker for kitchen gadgets! This tool is awesome though. You make your pie crust {or cheat and buy the store version already made} cut out the top and bottom crust using the "cutter" side of the pocket mold. Lay the bottom crust into the mold.



Then you place about 2 tablespoons of the filling in center of the bottom mold. And let me tell you, their pie filling is excellent. It has more of an applesauce texture and just the right amount of spices! YUM!


Lay the top crust over the bottom and then squish the mold together making a sealed or crimped edge all the way around the pie. Then you freeze the pies on a baking sheet for 20-30 minutes before baking. Once they bake you allow them to cool. How gorgeous are these. I used an egg wash and sprinkled some splenda sugar over them to get that perfect golden crust.



Finally serve them up with a scoop of french vanilla ice cream. Although my husband grabbed the left over pie and ate it just like a "hot pocket"! Either way it's delicious! I was thinking about making some pumpkin pie ones for an upcoming bake sale. I think they would be a hit.



No comments: